I love the fact that my boys love being creative. However some times by the time I have prepped the activity they have moved on. What I love most are activities that that I can just whip out and leave them to it. Which makes it really handy when I have to prepare dinner or taking a call. This is where the Aquabeads Playset comes into play. We were sent a couple of boxes of the Star Wars themed sets which got the boys really excited. They love anything Star Wars themed!
We were sent 2 sets; a playset and then a smaller character set which includes BB-8 and Chewbacca. Each sets are aimed at children aged 4years+ which meant all 3 of the boys were able to take part. Oliver couldn’t wait to get going and took great care in making his Darth Vader. It is actually very simple! Follow the themed cards by placing the coloured beads on the layout table. When all the beads are in placed cover with water and wait an hour to set. Once set they harden and become rather strong!
Using the Aquabeads
As Oliver wanted to make Darth Vader we decided to open the playset first. It also meant we had somewhere to store beads too, as the smaller character set doesn’t come with one. The instruction manuals does mention that there is a bead pen which can be bought separately, personally I think this should be included as standard. It would have been really useful for the boys to have had one. When Jack made his he became frustrated when he placed the wrong bead on the board, when he came to remove it the beads around it would move too!
The Themed cards are such a great idea! and it was really easy to follow. There is an arrow on each card which is to help position the cards when sliding into the layout table. The layout table kept the cards secure and in place. Even we Oliver knocked the table causing a few of the beads to move, the cards remained in place. Once the beads were in place it was time to put the water on them. The instruction manual says to make sure to soak them, so we did! Both of the boys found that part the best! Using the sprayer each of them soaked the beads and slowly counted to 5 before draining the excess water. Then after leaving for an hour to make sure they were dry we peeled them off the board.
I loved how simple it was! They didn’t need to adult supervision and as they were following a guide, they didn’t need help! The sense of self achievement they both had once they were complete was lovely to see. They really enjoyed making them! and now, we have Star Wars coasters to use.