You know it starts as a brilliant idea, let’s get baking. The Kids can help put all the ingredients in the bowl, we can take It in turns mixing. IT will go fantastically well and in the end we will have cake to eat! In reality though you are left with flour all over your kitchen, mess on the worktops and you just wish you never started. <— That is usually me but this time it was different. The boys listened and together we made some pretty awesome, simple cakes which tasted delicious! If I don’t say so myself.
I’m not sure why it went well, maybe it was because we started early in the morning. Too early for the arguments to kick in. Or, maybe it was because I prepared all the ingredients earlier? so they didn’t have to wait to weigh out all the ingredients. I’m not sure but I obviously caught them on a good day! Baking the cake went great!
- 8oz Self raising flour
- 8oz sugar
- 8oz softened butter
- 4 eggs
- 1tsp Baking Powder
The way I bake our cake is to;
- preheat the oven first, I put mine on 180C
- mix all the dried ingredients together add the egg and then add the butter.
- Using an electric whisk, whisk it altogether
- We use butter to grease the cake tins as well as cutting out a circle in greaseproof paper to line the tin.
- Pour the mix into the cake tins and then cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Leave on a cooling rack to cool ready to decorate however you wish!
We decided we were going to make a Victorian sponge cake and aswell as a big cake we also had enough to make some cupcakes (we did two batches). The boys loved decorating their cupcakes and I rather enjoyed doing the main cake!